Comfort-food season is right around the corner. It’s a glorious time of gooey bliss and carb-induced food comas, when the cream flows like wine and the cheese melts like a heart in love. And if any dish embodies comfort-food season it’s one served in a casserole, like this creamy 3-cheese baked mac and cheese.
This recipe combines the typical cheddar with the super melty colby jack and the campfire-flavored smoked gouda to give the mac and cheese a dynamic taste.
Like any good mac and cheese, this one starts with a roux to make the cheese sauce extra thick and creamy. It’s topped off with extra cheese and baked, resulting in a decadent, gooey center and a hard, crusty top.
The whole thing only takes about 40 minutes to make, and it’s so worth it – but if you’re feeling impatient, check out our recipe for Instant Pot mac and cheese, which only takes 10 minutes from start to finish.
Scroll through the photos below for step-by-step directions on how to make this creamy 3-cheese baked mac and cheese.
- 3 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided into 1 tablespoon and 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half, warmed
- 2 cups (16 ounces) colby jack cheese, shredded, divide into 1 cup and 1 cup
- 1 cup (8 ounces) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) smoked gouda cheese, shredded, divided into 1/4 cup and 1/4 cup
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced parsley
*Recipe and photos courtesy of Thanksgiving.com