When it comes to classic sandwiches your mom used to make, there are few better than a BLT or a grilled cheese. Each has its own advantages and is better for different occasions. But why choose between the two when you can just mix them together.
That’s exactly what this pimento BLT seeks to do with a classic BLT topped with homemade zesty pimento that has just the right amount of tang and a little kick at the end, buttered up and grilled to perfection.
Don’t blame your mom for never making you this sandwich. She didn’t know.
For easy sandwich prep, the pimento cheese spread can be made ahead and held refrigerated for 1 week.
*Recipe courtesy of The Food Channel.
- 1 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (2 ounce) jar chopped pimentos, well drained
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (Tobasco or similar)
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
- As needed butter, melted
- 8 slices sourdough or country white bread
- As needed iceberg lettuce leaves
- 12 tomato slices
- 12 slices bacon, cooked
- 1 Combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, pimentos, hot sauce and worcestershire sauce in bowl and stir to blend. Add cheddar and stir until fully blended.
- 2 Brush outer sides of bread lightly with melted butter; place on work surface, buttered sides down. Spread pimento cheese evenly on bottom four slices of bread; close with top slices of bread.
- 3 Grill in a large skillet over medium-low heat on both sides, until bread is golden and cheese is melted.
- 4 Open grilled cheese sandwiches; layer lettuce, tomato and bacon on bottom halves of sandwiches. Close with top halves of sandwich, insert picks if desired and diagonal slice.