It seems like a strange idea, adding peanut butter to a grilled cheese sandwich, but once you try it, your perception of what a grilled cheese sandwich is supposed to be will change forever.
My first encounter with a peanut butter grilled cheese sandwich left me speechless, not because the gooey-stickiness of the combo nearly sealed my mouth shut, but because at first taste it was hard to express just how delicious it was. I was both ecstatic that the sandwich entered my life and distressed that I hadn’t gotten the chance to enjoy it sooner. From the moment the peanut butter hit the sourdough bread, no grilled cheese sandwich has ever compared, and the new benchmark for a standard grilled cheese had been set.
The magic is in the grilling when the unlikely pairing of sharp white cheddar cheese and peanut butter melt together in a savory sweetness. Add bacon for a salty crunch and blackberry preserves for a touch of tartness and you’ve got a sandwich that will satisfy all of your cravings. The combination of textures and the layers of flavors are as complex, but this sandwich is so simple to make, you can whip it up for a quick snack, for lunch, or even as a late night snack.
To save yourself from wasting any more time on peanut butter-less grilled cheese sandwiches, try this recipe. You’re welcome.
This recipe is courtesy of The Food Channel.
- 2 slices French loaf or sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon blackberry preserves
- 3 strips bacon, cooked crisp
- 4 slices sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1 Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- 2 Spread peanut butter and blackberry preserve on bottom slice of bread.
- 3 Top with bacon and cheese slices.
- 4 Close with top slice of bread and press closed.
- 5 Grill over medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden and cheese is melted.