Grilling is a subtle art. It’s quite possibly the simplest form of cooking, but with great simplicity comes great opportunity for failure. A minute to long on the grill and your steak is ruined. An hour too little in its brine, your pork is too tough.
But even if you’re not a master griller, there’s still an easy way to impress everyone at your cookout: grilled watermelon. It’s the perfect mixture of spicy, sweet, citric and refreshing – and it’s nearly impossible to screw up.
Just brush some watermelon in a mixture of lime juice, honey, cayenne, salt and pepper, throw it on the grill for a few minutes and top it with fresh cilantro, and you’ve got a side that will blow people’s minds.
It’s low risk, high reward and takes virtually no time or financial investment. You’ll be a BBQ hero for doing virtually nothing. You can thank us later.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 seedless watermelon, cut into 1-inch thick wedges
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 In a small bowl, whisk together honey, lime juice, cayenne pepper and salt, then brush each side of watermelon slices with mixture.
- 2 Place watermelon on hot grill and cook until grill marks develop, about 2 minutes per side.
- 3 Remove watermelon from the grill, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.