Is everything better with bacon? Louisville’s Red Herring certainly makes a case for it with this pork-centric julep. The year-old craft cocktail bar offers a list of 100 classic cocktails and 8 – 10 contemporary tipplers. For Derby, the multifaceted space, created four new versions of the minty classic, including this one.
*Recipe courtesy of Red Herring
- 2 ounces bacon-washed Maker's Mark bourbon (instructions below)
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- 6 to 8 mint leaves, plus extra for garnish
- crushed ice
To make the bacon-washed bourbon
- 1 Add 2 ounces bacon fat to one bottle of Maker’s Mark bourbon and let sit for 3 days. Add mixture to a centrifuge to separate the bourbon from the fat. Discard fat.
To make the julep
- 1 Add bourbon, syrup and mint leaves to a julep cup. Gently muddle until mint is bruised.
- 2 Top with crushed ice and garnish with mint.