It was only a few years ago that some guy added butter to coffee, deemed it “bulletproof,” and everyone decided it was the greatest thing to happen to their workday mornings. That guy – Dave Asprey – is now worth some unfathomable amount of money, all because he discovered that adding a healthy dose of butter makes everything better (OK, fine, there was slightly more to it than that, but you get the point).
Well, hot buttered rum is the best thing to happen to your weekend evening, but the person who invented it (whoever they may be) probably died poor and alone. Luckily, they left behind a legacy that is the most warm and comforting way to get through a cold winter night.
The hot buttered rum is kind of like rum’s answer to the hot toddy – but it’s filled with spices and butter instead of lemon and honey. It’s like a blanket for your insides, and come February it might be the only thing that keeps you from going insane.
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup rum
- 2 cups Boiling water
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, butter, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. Distribute evenly among 4 warmed mugs.
- 2 Add 3 tablespoons rum to each mug, then fill with the boiling water, stirring well. Garnish with cinnamon sticks.