The spices that can go into a jerk rub can vary wildly depending on where you go, but one thing this fiery Caribbean spice mix is guaranteed to have regardless of where it comes from is some serious spice (and a taste of the islands).
This version of jerk chicken is on the mild side, but still packs a bit of a wallop thanks to cayenne pepper. The mango salsa adds some bright, citrusy freshness that would help cool the bite of the chicken if not for the fact that it contains jalapeños.
Still not convinced? This recipe is Stephen Curry approved, which has to count for something.
For the mango salsa
- 2 cups mango, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon jalapeño, finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
For the jerk-rubbed chicken
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound chicken breast, cubed
- As needed skewers (soaked in water)
- 1 Combine all ingredients. Let sit and allow flavors to meld while you prepare the chicken.
Jerk chicken rub
- 1 Mix together the garlic, olive oil and the next 9 ingredients in a bowl. Coat cubed chicken well with the rub. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- 2 Add 4-6 pieces of chicken per skewer.
- 3 Cook on a pan on medium-high heat. Turn frequently to avoid burning. Cook for about 15 minutes or until juices run clear.
- 4 Plate the chicken on or off the skewer and spoon the Mango Salsa on top.