Scones might be the most under-appreciated delight in the world of baked goods. Somewhere between a muffin and a cookie, scones are soft, crumbly and loaded with butter. And they’re just as good for breakfast as they are for dessert.
These blueberry mate lemon blueberry scones have just a hint of natural citrus and astringent taste from the lemon mate tea to balance out the buttery sweetness of the blueberry pastry.
They’re simple to make, delightfully light and surprisingly addictive. Don’t be surprised if they’re the last thing you eat before going to bed and the first thing you eat when you wake up.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup white sugar (+ 1/2 teaspoon for top)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 Numi Mate Lemon Tea Bags
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 Heat ⅔ cup milk in on stovetop until hot to the touch.
- 2 Add 3 Mate Lemon Tea Bags and steep for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- 3 Leave tea bags in milk and place container in the freezer to cool it down for about 30 minutes.
- 4 Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 5 Mix flour, baking powder and salt in large mixing bowl.
- 6 Cut butter into small pieces, then add to mixture. Use your hands to press butter into mix and break it into smaller pieces with your fingers. Continue until mixture resembles damp sand.
- 7 Add sugar and stir gently with a spoon to mix.
- 8 Add milk and blueberries. Use your fingers to gently press batter together until it forms dough.
- 9 Using a round plate, pat dough into a circle about 1½" in height.
- 10 Evenly sprinkle about ½ teaspoon white, granulated sugar on top.
- 11 Cut into 8 wedges and place on greased or buttered cookie sheet. Bake for 12-13 minutes, until browned on bottom.