Mashed potatoes are often an afterthought in the veritable smorgasbord that is the carb section of the Thanksgiving meal. After all, they’ve got to compete with various other types of potatoes, macaroni and cheese. breads, stuffings, and so on.
But just because they’re simple, doesn’t mean mean mashed potatoes have to be boring. We added a drizzle of cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil to these rich, creamy mashed potatoes just before serving for a fresh & contemporary presentation.
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream, warm
- To taste Salt and black pepper
- As needed Best quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 In a large measuring cup, gently heat cream and butter in microwave or in a small saucepan on stove, set aside.
- 2 Cut peeled potatoes into large chunks and place in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Add ½ tablespoon salt, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Drain immediately.
- 3 In a large mixing bowl, either pass potatoes through a ricer, or mash by hand.
- 4 Add warm cream mixture and mix until smooth and cream has absorbed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Then place in a serving dish and drizzle lightly with olive oil.