There are only four teams left in the NFL playoffs, so statistically speaking, chances are, yours isn’t one of them. No matter. You can adopt a team to root for – or at least adopt a team’s cuisine.
Even if you can’t bear the chant E-A-G-L-E-S coming out of your mouth, you should definitely consider a Philly cheesesteak going into your mouth. This recipe from our friends at The Food Channel is the greasy-savory-cheesy gameday food of your dreams, whether you’re consoling yourself for a loss or celebrating a win.
*Recipe courtesy of The Food Channel.
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 1/2 pound deli roast beef, rare, sliced wafer thin
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons pepperoncini, sautéed
- 1/2 pound provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- As needed extra virgin olive oil, for grilling
- To taste Salt and pepper
- 1 Heat griddle until hot. Then cover bottom evenly with olive oil. Add the onions, bell pepper, pepperoncini and cook, stirring, until caramelized, which will take about 6 to 8 minutes.
- 2 Add the garlic, salt and pepper, and cook for about 30 seconds. Then, push the mixture off to one side of the griddle.
- 3 Add the meat to the hot part of the griddle. Cook, continuously flipping the meat over and chopping the meat into slightly smaller pieces with two spatulas, until the meat is no longer pink, which should take about 3 minutes.
- 4 Mix the meat and the caramelized onions, bell pepper and pepperoncini together. Top with the cheese to melt.
- 5 Cut the bread ¾ down. Hollow out some of the soft white bread part from inside and place face down on top of the meat and cheese. When the cheese is melted, flip the sandwiches over to serve.