Let’s be honest: pretzels – the hard, twisted kind that are served in a plastic bowl at your local bar – are not that exciting. They’ll make due in a pinch, but they’re dry and usually broken, and their best attribute is probably that their saltiness makes you want to reach for another beer. Honey wheat pretzels are a bit more exciting, and soft pretzels can be fantastic, but can also be stale, dry, and disappointing.
The best form of a pretzel is undoubtedly the pretzel bun. It adds just enough flavor to any sandwich, it’s soft enough that it doesn’t get in the way of the heart of the sandwich, and it’s durable enough to hold up to any amount of meat, veggies and sauce you want to throw inside. In short, it’s the perfect accompaniment to massive burger – or these monster sliders.
These sliders may be small in circumference, but they’re stacked sky high with a thick meat patty, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, and a creamy, herbaceous sauce.
You’re still probably going to want a beer to wash them down.
*Recipe courtesy of The Food Channel.
- 1 lb ground prime sourced bison or beef
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil
- 6 ounces aged cheddar cheese, sliced
- 12 mini pretzel rolls
- leafy lettuce
- tomatoes, sliced
- red onion, sliced and grilled
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 Preheat a grill or grill pan to 400 degrees. In a saucepan, combine heavy cream, garlic, rosemary, and paprika. Bring to a boil then simmer until reduced by half. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 2 Divide meat into 12 mounds, sprinkle with pepper then gently shape into burgers. Drizzle burgers with oil then place on preheated grill.
- 3 Slice red onion, drizzle with oil, then place next to burgers on the grill. Cook for 3 minutes then turn burgers and onions over with tongs.
- 4 Place 1/2 ounce of aged cheddar on top of each burger then place buns face down on an open section of the grill to toast slightly, for about 2 minutes.
- 5 Remove buns from grill and place on a platter. Top each bottom with a small spoonful of the sauce then place a leaf of lettuce and slices of tomato.
- 6 Top with a burger, cheese side up, followed by some grilled onion and more sauce, if desired.