Bacon-covered (fill in the ____) is the ultimate (fill in the _____). We know, we know. Add bacon to anything and *presto* it just got more exciting. We’ve all known this for years. But if you really want to kick your breakfast sandwiches up a notch, make this bacon-flavored jam.
The bacon mixes perfectly with flavors of apple and maple that give this jam all the smoky meatiness that we love from bacon plus the natural sweetness from apple and maple, and a touch of heat from brandy or whiskey added at the end.
You can pretty much slap this on any sandwich you want, but it’s a particularly great addition to a egg and cheese breakfast sandwich. Not only does it add the bacon flavor you crave, it also gives it the moisture that ties everything together – basically serving as a replacement for ketchup or other inferior condiments. Because, as we all know, bacon is the ultimate condiment.
- 8 ounces bacon, finely chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced small
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Apple jack or bourbon (optional)
- 1 Add bacon to a saucepan or large skillet and cook over medium heat until as crispy as desired.
- 2 Carefully drain fat, keeping bacon in the pan.
- 3 Add next 5 ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring well.
- 4 Reduce heat to low and simmer until most liquid has been absorbed, leaving just enough to hold the jam together.
- 5 Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and Apple Jack (or bourbon), if using.
- 6 Use while warm or transfer to a container, cover and refrigerate until needed.