It’s 2018, and in this brave new world we live in, restaurant menus and grocery store shelves are increasingly populated with vegetarian and vegan food. And that’s great. Plant-based alternatives to meat are good for the environment, good for the animals, and probably better for your health.
But some of us just really love the the taste of a bloody steak or a juicy burger. How can you possibly replace the mouth-watering deliciousness of pulled pork? Well, you can’t. But you can come close.
Jackfruit, a tree-borne fruit that can grow up to 80 pounds, has been all over Southeast Asian menus for years, famous for being able to hit a range of flavors from sweet to savory.
In the U.S., the fruit is having a zeitgeist moment as a natural meat substitute, currently most famous for its replacement of pig in pulled pork. It does the job so shockingly well in both taste and texture that you might not even be able to tell the difference.
This recipe for pulled BBQ jackfruit from our friends at The Food Channel is so good you’ll almost think it’s pork.
For the BBQ jackfruit
- 2 cans jackfruit in brine
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 4 white bulbs from green onion stalks
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 1 thumb ginger
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons liquid aminos (soy/tamari)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 bottle BBQ sauce
For the garlic aioli
- 4 tablespoons mayonaisse
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- juice from half lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 green onion, chopped
For the garlic aioli
- 1 Mix together all ingredients in a bowl by hand and refrigerate.
For the jackfruit
- 1 Rinse jackfruit and put aside in a bowl.
- 2 Add everything else into a blender and mix. Then pour over jackfruit
- 3 Add mix to pot and bring to quick boil. Immediately reduce heat to medium/low and cook for 30 minutes.
- 4 Let chill in refrigerator for at least one hour.
- 5 Add BBQ sauce and bake for 15 minutes at 400F.
- 6 Grab some bread, add all your fixings of choice, and enjoy!