As we settle into winter, it becomes easy to maintain a diet that screams “comfort.” Who wants to make a kale salad and roasted veggies when you can just order a pizza with one touch of your phone?
This beet, goat cheese and walnut salad is at once healthy and comforting, and it’s pretty simple to make (about 20 minutes of prep work). Make it tonight and you’ll feel much less guilty about ordering that pizza tomorrow.
*Recipe courtesy of The Food Channel.
- 1 1/4 pounds beets, red and golden, medium size
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup California walnuts, coarsely chopped, toasted
- 1 ounce goat cheese (chevre), soft, crumbled
- To taste pepper, freshly ground
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, fresh, lightly packed, torn
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
For the dressing
- 1 Puree all dressing ingredients in a small blender or food processor. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the salad
- 1 Preheat oven to 400F. Rinse beets and remove tops if still attached. Wrap each in foil, leaving room for air to circulate.
- 2 Place on a baking sheet and cook for about 50 minutes or until beets are tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Let cool, then slip off skins. Discard ends and slice beets 1/4-inch thick.
- 3 Place arugula in a large shallow bowl and toss with half the dressing.
- 4 Layer beets over arugula and drizzle with remaining dressing. Top with walnuts and cheese and season with pepper.