“If you can dream it, you can make it” should be the motto of pie. Pie is a dessert with potential. It has the potential to be filled with whatever your heart desires, it can be seasonal or be enjoyed all year, and it can be made for any occasion – even if that occasion is just another Tuesday. Pie is a form of expression and the pie crust is an empty canvas waiting for an eager artist.
Whether you’re looking for a unique pie to impress your in-laws with at the next cookout, or just a pie to treat yourself, look no further. The honey, pomegranate and pear pie is as delicious as it is a work of art. It combines the sweetness of honey, the mildness of pear and the tartness of pomegranate. The pomegranate arils burst in every bite, a texture that complements the crispness of the pears.
Don’t let the intricate design of the fanned pears fool you. This pie recipe is very simple and doesn’t require too many ingredients. Only lemon juice, honey, cardamom, nutmeg, pears and pomegranate are used to flavor this pie. No sugar added!
*Recipe courtesy of The Food Channel.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 pears, skin-on, core removed, thinly-sliced
- 1 cup pomegranate arils (about 2 pomegranates worth)
- 1 pie crust dough
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2 Place pie crust in an ungreased 12-inch pie plate and press firmly against the side and bottom.
- 3 Combine lemon juice, honey, cardamom and nutmeg in a sauce pan, warm over low heat until well-integrated, remove from heat.
- 4 Line pie crust with a single layer of sliced pear, followed by a drizzle of the lemon honey mixture, a sprinkle of pomegranate arils and a dusting of flour.
- 5 Repeat process until you fill the top of the pie pan, drizzling the mixture and adding the flour and pomegranate arils to each layer until you reach the edge of the pie plate.
- 6 Place a final layer of pears and pomegranate arils on top; lightly drizzle with the honey and lemon mixture (do not add flour).
- 7 Bake uncovered for 55 minutes. Cool before slicing.