The concept of fruit on pizza has been a hot debate lately. The President of Iceland jokingly said he wanted to ban pineapple pizza, Gordon Ramsey actively campaigns against the pineapple pizza, even other contributors at Eat Sip Trip have considered fruit on pizza one of the “worst crimes against pizza that will make you question humanity.” But I think it’s time we forget what we think pizza should be and begin to embrace what it could be.
So pineapple pizza haters, before you throw shade at this recipe, hear us out, because this mango bacon barbecue pizza is so delicious it will shatter your previously held pizza perceptions. Mango, bacon and barbecue sauce are already incredible ingredients on their own, but when you bring them together you get the holy trinity of flavor: sweet, tangy and salty. It’s a trifecta that deserves to be enjoyed on a doughy pizza crust.
Join the rebellion and make this pizza.
- 1 (7 inch) pizza crust
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- 2 strips bacon, cooked crisp and coarsely crumbled
- 1 tablespoon green onion tops, sliced
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 Preheat oven to 450°F and place pizza crusts on a large baking sheet. Spread with barbecue sauce, then sprinkle with cheese, bacon, green onion and mango.
- 2 Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Let cool slightly then cut into small wedges.