At Louisville’s Proof on Main, certified spirits specialist Dane Durand plays on the senses with the “Original Recipe,” a play on KFC’s secret blend of herbs and spices. “The goal is to get flavor, orthonasal (perceptions of aromas through the mouth) and retronasal (perceptions of aromas through the nose), to amplify each other,” says Durand.
*Recipe courtesy of Proof on Main
- 10 mint leaves
- 1 dash of spice blend (black pepper, clove, nutmeg, and star anise)
- 3/4 ounces ginger lime cordial
- 2 ounces Four Roses single barrel bourbon
- 1 Add alcohol to a glass, then fill julep cup halfway with crushed ice, swizzle, top with crushed ice and mound more on top.
- 2 Smack the mint on your hand, then add the straw and more ice.
- 3 Sprinkle a dash of powdered sugar on top and throw spice mix through a flame to garnish.