There are a few keys to making a great salad: contrasting flavors, complementary flavors, variety of texture, and last – but not least – don’t add too much dressing.
In this strawberry-watermelon chicken salad, the acidic citrus taste of the lime really brings out the freshness of the fruit and the herbaceous flavor of the pesto really makes those savory notes of the chicken pop. And of course, the lettuce adds a nice bed of crunchy texture.
But the really great thing about this salad is that it’s designed to be tinkered with. Want to add a little extra saltiness? Toss in some feta cheese. Want more depth of texture? Throw in some walnuts or sunflower seeds. The salad is your canvass.
*Recipe and photo via Thanksgiving.com
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2–3 heads green lettuce (such as butter crunch), washed, dried and torn in bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups watermelon, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 To make dressing, place pesto, honey and lime juice in small bowl and whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- 2 Place lettuce greens on a large platter. Add watermelon, chicken and strawberries in rows across lettuce.
- 3 Sprinkle red onion and basil on top of salad. Just before serving, add dressing to salad.